Wednesday 22 June 2011

CHICKEN, THY SAVIOUR

Lately, I've been busy. No, like really busy (actually, probably not as busy as some people--I'm such a complainer). But...I've been so busy that I haven't been able to prepare proper meals--(gasp!) which for me is a pretty big deal. Without proper meals prepared, it's difficult to eat right, which again, is a big no-no in my books. So, I turn to my good friend: the store-bought rotisserie chicken.

It's no home-roasted chicken, but it certainly is quick and delicious. Growing up, my family (there's six of us) was always super busy with school, hockey practice, figure skating, painting lessons, piano lessons, karate, swimming lessons--the list goes on and on--but my Mom (Super Mom is a more appropriate title) always managed to provide her family with well-balanced and healthy meals--often in a tupperware or Thermos, but nonetheless, hot, healthy, and delicious food. She's amazing.

So, ever since I was a kid, I've been familiar with these rotisserie chickens and have loved them. Now when I'm in a bunch and don't have time to cook a proper meal for myself and R, I head to the grocery store and pick myself up a bird.



Enjoy chicken for dinner one night, then use the rest for lunches the next day! Some of my favourite ways to use leftover rotisserie chicken are in whole grain wraps, sandwiches, or on top of a veggie-packed salad. Or try Asian chicken lettuce wraps, chicken tacos, or quesadillas.

image via life of polarn per

1 comment:

  1. Those chickens are a tabula rasa upon which he greatest of meals can be etched.

    Having worked retail for a decade and a half...having seen so, so many poor, poor lunches eaten over too, too many breaks...

    I used to regularly insist the staff pool money to buy one of those chickens...plus some vegetables...and no one ever went back. $20 (divided four ways) can buy a staff a great meal on any Saturday afternoon, one that shames anything any local fast-food outlet can provide for anything near the cost.

    (And, afterward, the bits are great stock for Sunday soup.)

    ReplyDelete