Wednesday 15 June 2011

LIQUID MEALS

I'm not one who enjoys drinking my meals--in fact, I'm anything but. What I enjoy is a complete meal, something to tear into, munch on, and savour. However, when life gets busy--which is always--it can be difficult to get a proper meal in, especially when you're on a tight schedule to say, slip in a workout in between appointments or other commitments (I don't like to workout on a full stomach, do you?).

So, as it goes, sometimes we have to drink our meals (or eat something small that will hold us over for a few hours. Take today, for instance: usually, I'm very organized and have all my meals (roughly) planned out for the entire week. This was not the case for lunch today, though. I'll often take a tupperware of quinoa with chopped veggies or a salad with chicken or tuna to class with me, but my lack of organization left me with hummus and a baggie full of peppers. Not a bad snack, but I definitely needed something by the end of class. 

Then comes my later-than-usual arrival home (I went to the library to do some research and get some textbooks out) and I'm closer to the time I have to leave to sneak in a short run before I head off to footy practice. Here's where the whole liquid meal comes into play. 

I needed something quick, something that was going to satisfy me, and that something that I could digest easily before going for a run. I give you, the power shake:


Green Power Shake

1 cup soy milk
1 small banana, sliced
1/2 cup fresh berries (or frozen)
1 scoop whey protein powder
1-2 handfuls spinach

1. In a blender, combine all ingredients. Blend until smooth.

Try This: Be generous when adding spinach and fruit--all will provide you with loads of nutrients. Depending on how much produce you use, you may have to add more liquid. Try adding honey, to taste.

Keep in mind that this shake shouldn't necessarily start to replace your meals, but it is a great quick and nutritious way to get something in your system. I knew I was going to be burning a lot of calories on my run and at footy practice, so I also ate a small breakfast pita with my shake so that I had some extra carbohydrates to provide me with that necessary energy I'll be exerting.

Off to run now--Happy (gorgeous) Wednesday!

image via marcus samuelsson

No comments:

Post a Comment