Monday 1 August 2011

CONFESSION



Let's talk discipline: self-discipline. It's something that you can have either a little or a lot of. It's something that can be practiced over time. It's something that is required if there's a specific goal you want to achieve. It's something that leads to personal improvement.

Ladies and gents, I'm happy to confess that I suffer from a lack of self-discipline (as so many of us do). And while it's not something I can change tomorrow, it's certainly something I can recognize today and spend years--years?--trying to combat. That said, while self-discipline is a desirable trait, maybe we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves. 

Take my 'tri-training', for instance. I'm disappointed--yet somewhat relieved--that I will not be continuing with my 'training' routine. A lesson learned on my part? Perhaps. I'm two-thirds to completing the 90-day 'training', so one might ask, why the abrupt termination of the plan? There's a number of reasons for this, but let's just say the overarching reason is self-discipline--or the lack thereof.

When starting a fitness plan of any kind, one must have ample self-discipline and determination. There must be a good reason for why the training has been put in place. And the 'training' must be implemented in such a fashion that it becomes a priority. This is, after all, the only way any end goal is going to be achieved and any results are going to surface.

For my training, you could say that problem number 1 was that I didn't have an end goal, but rather, I was just doing it for 'fun'--or as I explain in a previous post, for 'structure'.

You could say that I'm throwing the towel in and giving up--totally legitimate--or you could say I'm seeing things in a new perspective. I've realized the importance of not only self-discipline, but of setting goals and what impact this can have on the process to obtaining one's goals. Most importantly, though, find what works for you. Evidently, this didn't work for me--this time around. But perhaps when I have a set race date, it will work.

And what about everything else we do? Maybe such a regimented program isn't what I need. My schedule is constantly shifting, with academic deadlines, auditions and work popping up unexpectedly, and most importantly, maintaining friendships (social life = important). So, what's more important to you now? Find out and focus your energy there. It's not that I (or in the event of failure, you) don't have self-discipline or the ability to set and achieve goals--in fact, I'm constantly setting and achieving new goals--but sometimes, we make mistakes by setting goals that aren't our own or that are, but don't suit us today, tomorrow, or the next day, but perhaps are better suited to us later down the road.

For now, a structured, regimented exercise plan just didn't seem to fit the bill for me--or my manic schedule. And that's okay. For now, I've learned a lesson. For now, I'm calling it quits--and that, too, is okay--because right now, I'm going for a nice long run.

And that's okay

It's not the end: for progress and results of my 'tri-training' up until now, see here.

images via strive for progress, not perfection

No comments:

Post a Comment