Wednesday 21 September 2011

GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP


Nearly four years ago now, I cut refined sugars (that includes grains) from my diet due to health concerns. While I do occassionally enjoy dessert at a restaurant that obviously has all the bad stuff in it or a bowl of ice cream (my fave), I try to consume only whole grains and natural sweeteners such as agave nectar, stevia, and honey. While these products are still processed, they all have a low glycemic index, which is crucial for healthy sugar consumption.

Now, before I get too carried away with discussing sugar over-consumption, sugar addiction, and the link between sugar and our health (all of which information is the core of my thesis research), I'll stop here and save the other juicy bits for later.

After all, I just wanted to share a cookie recipe with you. Actually, I wanted to share Bob's recipe with you: it's in the bag.

I pride myself on baking from scratch (almost exclusively), but before I went and bought all of the alternative (gluten-free) flours, I thought that I'd try a mix to start. So, with my golden star of approval, I give to you Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie mix.

If you've never had gluten-free cookies before, you might not be a fan. I've only ever had my own gluten-free ginger cookies (a recipe I adapted from Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks) made using brown rice flour, so not a lot of comparison. But these chocolate chip cookies were delicious! They were crispy around the edges and soft and chewy inside.

So, while I cheated this time around, I now know that I can go ahead and make my own gluten-free chocolate chip cookies and they'll (hopefully) taste just as yummy.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment