Tuesday 4 October 2011

ME WANT PANCAKE

Every now and then, I get these vicious cravings for pancakes (notice how I pluralized it? not one craving, but several). This past weekend happened to be one of those times. And while I could have poured myself a bowl of kamut puffs and called it day, I hunkered down and decided what better way to satisfy my craving than by whipping up some delicious fatty cakes.

So, that's what I did.

They were delicious. And bonus: they were gluten-free.

This isn't my photo, but this is exactly what these cakes looked like:
light, fluffy, and golden--perfection.

(Gluten-Free) Brown Rice Pancakes
adapted from this recipe at The Galanter's Kitchen

1 cup brown rice flour
1 tbsp. agave nectar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup almond or soy milk
2 tsp. light olive oil

1. In a bowl, combine first four ingredients. Beat in milk until the mixture has a smooth consistency. Add egg and oil until just blended. Let sit for about 20 minutes.

2. Heat a large, well-oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon batter onto skillet and cook until bubbles begin to form. Flip cake, and continue cooking until golden brown on either side. Serve hot and enjoy!

Makes 5 pancakes.


Try This: For dressing your pancakes, a good ol' pure maple syrup can do wonders, but why not try some fresh berries? Or one of my favourites: in a fry pan, saute banana slices with cinnamon and a touch of syrup or agave for caramelized bananas (or if using fairly ripe bananas, there's no need because the sugar content in the bananas will do the caramelizing for you!). 

image via jeanette's healthy living

No comments:

Post a Comment