I accidentally made way too many of these the other night. But that's okay. Despite R having been away, I still managed to eat them all. Over the course of three days, that is!
Sweet Potato Latkes
2 medium or 1 huge sweet potato, peeled
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
salt and pepper
1. Using a cheese grater or a food processor, finely grate potatoes. Once grated, transfer potatoes to a few layered sheets of paper towel--this is to absorb all of that extra moisture in the potatoes. Try to squeeze as much liquid out. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
2. In same bowl, add eggs, flour, flax seed, and salt and pepper. Combine well.
3. Heat a large pan on medium-high with about a 1/4-inch of coconut oil covering the bottom of the pan. Form small potato patties and place in hot oil. Fry each latke for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your patties.
4. Once the latkes are cooked, remove from hot oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel--this will help to absorb any excess oil. Season hot latkes with sea salt.
5. Continue to cook latkes until all of potato mixture is used. Serve immediately with plain yoghurt and unsweetened (homemade!) apple sauce.
Makes a whole lotta latkes.
Try This: I actually made latkes using both sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. I found the sweet potato latkes tasted better the next day cold! Okay, maybe that's just me.