Friday 17 February 2012

A (COCONUT COOKIES) WEEKEND SALUTE

The week in review at Tomfoolery & Bright:

need outfit inspiration? Check out DailyLook.com
Valentine's pinks and reds
a photo diary of our trip to St. Lucia
and birthday wishes to a dear friend






I realize that I haven't been posting as much as usual, but things have been sort of hectic. To make it up to you, I have a cookie recipe I'd like to recommend. It's a recipe from one of my new favourite food blogs, The Food Lover's Primal Palate. As the focus at Primal Palate is the paleo diet, they steer clear of using any grains in their recipes.

For baking, they use a lot of coconut flour. If you've never used coconut flour, it's got a great flavour (if you like coconut), but tends to have some trouble keeping itself together. Usually baking that uses coconut flour requires some sturdy binding ingredients (you'll notice in many of the baking recipes at Primal Palate that they use a lot of eggs compared to your standard cake or cookie recipe). If you are trying to eat grain-free, though, coconut flour is a great substitute to grain flours. These cookies are proof:

(Sorry about the poor quality of photo--R seems to have walked off with my camera!)

Coconut Cookies with Dark Chocolate
thanks to The Food Lover's Primal Palate

1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 raw honey (or natural sweetener of your choice, I used agave nectar)
4 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate (or dark chocolate chips)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. In a medium sized bowl, combine eggs, oil, sweetener, vanilla, and salt. Once this is mixed, blend in coconut flour.

3. Stir in shredded coconut and chocolate.

4. On parchment paper lined baking sheets, drop heaping tablespoons of cookie batter. (I actually found my batter to be quite dense, so I lightly flattened my mounds of cookie dough before baking).

5. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!

Try This: last week, I posted another of Primal Palate's recipes that also uses coconut flour, this delicious Strawberry Torte with Raspberry Coulis.

Happy baking, and have a lovely weekend!

images via we heart it, the drifter and the gypsy, and pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment