Friday 25 May 2012

WEEKEND SALUTE (SUMMER'S HERE)

In addition to flip flops and short shorts and ice cream cones and iced coffees and camping and profuse sweating...the recent warm weather has brought excitement to some of the things I enjoy most during the summer (despite that the official first day of summer is weeks away!).







Physical activity / When the weather's warm and sunny, all I want to do is be outside. And, what better way to enjoy the great outdoors than with a footy game? This is my second season playing with the Lady 'Roos Australian football team. Last year, I was asked to play one game, but then enjoyed it so much that I decided to join the team. Now, I don't think summer would feel the same if I wasn't a part of the team. It's an awesome workout, it gets you outside, and bonus: it's a social experience! There's always socials outside of training and games; it's like a great, big family! If you're in the area, come watch our third game of the season tomorrow at 1pm at 1000 Mohawk Road, East Hamilton. It's free! And better, if you want to join the team, message me for details--we're always looking to recruit!

Festivals / I love summer in Toronto for endless festivals and events (many of which offer free entertainment and if you're lucky, food!). Whether it's Luminato, Taste of the Danforth, Woofstock, or the Beaches International Jazz Festival, there's always something to see or do in Toronto during the summer. This summer, I'm particularly excited about an ongoing event that my friend G recently told me about. It's the Toronto Underground Market (or TUM), and it's a social food market for the community to sample the food of Toronto home cooks, some professional and others not. G and I officially have a date for TUM's June 9th event, and while I'm looking forward to tasting what others have cooked up in their kitchens, I'm also curious to see what kind of sweet treats the vendors/budding entrepreneurs will have to share (and what competition might be like, were I to go through with my plan to pursue a small confectionery business of my own!). You can bet I'll do a follow-up post on the event.

R&R / And of course, a little rest and relaxation. While the warmth and sun can energize us and make us want to get outside and get active, at the end of a long summery day, doesn't it just feel the best to kick back with a light dinner, your favourite cocktail, your favourite book, your favourite person? R has been working very hard lately--me, not so hard, but I like to think I'm conserving my energy for something to come...err...? Regardless, I think we'll be taking in some easy relaxation this weekend. I'm thinking: laying in the sun and reading a good book? Right now I'm reading The Only 127 Things You Need by Donna Wilkinson. I'll let you know how it is when I'm finished reading. So far, the book has been a review for me.

What are you looking most forward to this summer (or even this weekend!)?

images via the thrifty gourmet cooks, pretty stuff, sequined serpent, and toronto underground market

No comments:

Post a Comment