Friday 14 October 2011

HALLOWEEN'D IN GLITTER

I finally got around to decorating the apartment a bit for halloween/(just autumn in general)!

To be honest, I'm not big on Halloween decor: it freaks me out, it sort of tends to be ugly, and there's nothing really pretty about it (yes, that's redundant).

But R and I are throwing a Halloween party this year, and while the thought of combining bright oranges and darks scares the hell out of me, I do like the notion of entertaining. And what would entertaining be without a little decor? That's when I sat down for some one-on-one time with my good friend, Ms. Stewart. Not only did she have a lot of great decorating ideas for the spooky Holiday, but she was full of ideas that even I could work with. Like glittered pumpkins.

Glittered Pumpkins
thank you, Martha

small pumpkins, fake or real
white glue
a paintbrush (I used a foambrush)
extra fine glitter

1. Using paintbrush, spread a layer of white blue over the surface of pumpkin.

2. Hold pumpkin over a plate or paper in order to catch excess glitter. Sprinkle glitter over pumpkin in one or more colours (I used a shade suitably called 'Pumpkin', gold, and bronze).

3. Let dry for about one hour and shake off excess glitter.  

Try This: Real pumpkins will do just fine and will probably last up to a few months. Plastic or paper mache pumpkins will also do just fine--take your pick!


Clockwise from top-left: 1/ pumpkins un-done 2/ supplies 3/ gold
pumpkin with flowers 4/ gold pumpkin with bar! 5/ big(ger) gold pumpkin
with DIY glittered pumpkins--voila!

How cute are they?

I also wanted to spray paint some pumpkins gold, but lucky me found some already-painted gold pumpkins at Michael's craft store. And at 70 per cent off, too! Can't argue with that.

Other Halloween decor I'm okay with? Well, I picked up a black crow to sit on the edge of the mantle and I guess some spooky cobwebs are all right, too.

How do you like to decorate for Halloween?


No comments:

Post a Comment